A Little Life: A Mother’s Prayer after a school shooting

 A Little Life

After a school shooting, a mother’s prayer


Photo Credit: Jae C. Hong / AP

God,

 

He came from you to me.

Tiny, writhing, mouth open wide in a primal scream.

 

I remember the first time he blinked.

Eyes staring up into mine.

 

“I’m here.”

“I need you.”

 

Instinct merged with anxiety

Those first long hours

 

Then days

And chaotic, screaming nights

 

Exhaustion curled up together on the dark green couch

He fit next to me cozily, molded against my stomach like clay

 

Where he once had all he needed

I couldn’t put him back in

 

He got bigger

Huge

 

2 then 4 then 6 then 8

Big snow boots stomping off

 

Kindergarten and recess

And COVID lockdowns

 

He gave me morning hugs

He ate so many little bags of Goldfish crackers

 

I sent him back gingerly

He leapt onto the football field

 

He dashed around the playground

He laughed uproariously with his friends

 

He ate three pieces of pizza

The torn-up toes of his worn shoes flapped in the wind

 

The snow melted and the rain fell

He pulled up his hood and walked to school, unafraid

 

He’s only 21 inches taller

Than an AR-15, stood on its end

 

A little life can’t outlast

A little bullet

 

Propelled by the latest technology

And a country’s bloodlust

 

And our leaders’ cold calculations

Of little lobbyists and big donations

 

So many little bullets

Sprayed out over little lives

 

Little lives that are no more

No more backpacks or books

 

No more school drop offs or pickups

Just casings on the ground

 

All we have left

Of little lives

 

I wanted him to make 3-pointers

I wanted to go to his piano recital

 

I wanted to send him to college

And cry alone under the covers when he was gone

 

Proud. So proud.

I wanted to dance with him, poorly, on his wedding day.

 

To music I didn’t know.

And smile as he laughed again.

 

Mostly, though.

I wanted the little things.

 

End-of-school picnics.

Slip-n-slides.

 

Popsicles melting down his chin.

Letting me smooth petroleum jelly on his scrapes.

 

Hugging me.

With two arms.

 

Ma .. ma

Mama

 

Mommy

Mom

 

Mom

Mom

 

I wanted so much for him

And so little

 

A childhood

Books

 

Games

Gloves

 

Tests

Tennis shoes

 

Lemonade

Long legs

 

A little life

A little boy

 

Please, God

Let him grow old

 

Let him have

His little life

 

AMEN

 

Poem inspired by John 10:10

 

“The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.”


Published originally at https://churchanew.org/blog/posts/uvalde-church-anew-writers-respond

Comments

Popular Posts