My Country, 'Tis of Thee: A song for Fourth of July 2020

A song for Fourth of July in America, 2020
adapted from the song America (My Country 'Tis of Thee) written by Samuel Francis Smith in 1831

My County 'tis of thee,
Neglected shared destiny
Of thee I sing
Land where the virus spread
Unmasked we fight instead
From ev'ry hospital bed
Let mourning ring!

My native country thee
Meant rights and liberty
Only for some.
They took the lakes and lands
Named them after their friends
Hoping the natives' story ends
Justice won't come.

But let truth swell the breeze.
Honesty we beg you please
It's not too late.
Still we're the huddled mass
Staring at the looking glass
Freedom for all we ask
Independence Day.

God of the poor to thee
We look on bended knee
Please hear our cry.
America can still be great
If we choose not to hate
Instead we celebrate
Not my but thy.



Comments

Popular Posts